Saturday, January 9, 2010

On the trail...


Before the freezes hit, I took this picture of a Linx Spider guarding her egg sac (which is wrapped in the seed heads of this upland plant). She was a courageous sight, trying to intimidate an intruder about a thousand times her size. I took the pix and left her alone with her charges. A week later, and many degrees colder (minimum temps at Camp Bayou reached 27 F), she is gone but the carefully wrapped egg sac is still there. The next freeze threatens to be even colder (snow is a possibility here in Central Florida- wonder of wonders) so I took the stem along with its passengers (which I hope are still alive) into the Nature Center to see if they still have a chance at surviving this winter. Time will tell. I will post if and when they hatch and hopefully their subsequent release into the wilds of Camp Bayou. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments on subject- Thanks!